LECO 2020 was the brainchild of the French Embassy in Nigeria and the League of Extraordinary Gamers to
support the digital culture among Nigerian youths.
A total of 42 teams of 5 players each registered for the event and took part in a straight 7-day qualifiers that
produced the eventual eight finalists.
- Rogue Gods
- LXG Esports
- African Kings
- 300 Spartans
- Know Gaming
- Active Gaming
- Angels & Demons
Prominent PUBG Mobile VIP, MrxFlip was on hand to stream the qualifiers as well as the finals.
Executive Chairman, Lagos State Sports Commission, Mr. Sola Aiyepeku opened the event with a keynote
address. In his words “The Lagos State Government is aware and supportive of esports especially since it
provides a platform for young people to express themselves. The Lagos State government is ready to back
esports initiatives in the state.”
COVID-19 health protocols were put in place. All attendees were handed facemasks just as hand sanitizers
were available before entry into the auditorium, which also was filled to half capacity in order to achieve social distancing.
Within minutes of the event commencing, it was trending at #1 on Nigeria Twitter.
Speaking about the event, LXG CEO, Emmanuel Oyelakin expressed his joy at successfully running the event.
“We have always wanted to give Nigerian gamers good quality events which will match as much as possible
what is obtainable on the global stage and LECO has proved that Nigeria and indeed Africa can host the biggest events in the gaming and esports world. We have been able to project Nigeria to the world and this is just the beginning”
The event received sponsorship from several brands including.
1.French Embassy in Nigeria
- Alliance Francaise – Mike Adenuga Centre
- Institut Francais du Lagos
- TECNO Mobile Nigeria – Mobile partner of the event
- TECNO HiOS Operating System
- Aha Games – Partners to TECNO Mobile Nigeria
- Popcentral TV – Media Partner of the event
- Complete Sports Nigeria – Media Partners
- Redbull Nigeria – Energy drinks for the gamers
- Showgear – Event media production
- Next Magic Africa – Accessories support
- Techxhub IMEA
Endorsement for the event also came from very reputable local and global bodies
- Esports Nigeria
- Lagos State Sports Commission
- Electronic Sports Federation of Africa (ESFA)
- World Esports Consortium (WESCO)
LECO2020 is the closest event to PUBG Corp’s PUBG Mobile Club Open (PMCO). This makes LECO the biggest
and most prestigious PUBG Mobile LAN event in Africa. In the words of the event’s VIP streamer, MrxFlip,
“casting the LECO LAN finals is the highlight of my streaming career”
Prize pool for the event was NGN300,000 (Three hundred thousand naira only) and all participants have been
- First Prize – One hundred and twenty thousand naira (NGN120,000)
- First Runner Up – Eighty thousand naira (NGN80,000)
- Second Runner Up – Fifty thousand naira (NGN50,000)
- Fourth Place – Ten thousand naira (NGN10,000)
- Fifth Place – Ten thousand naira (NGN10,000)
- Sixth Place – Ten thousand naira (NGN10,000)
- Seventh Place – Ten thousand naira (NGN10,000)
- Eight Place – Ten thousand naira (NGN10,000)
LECO 2020 might officially be over, but the next edition is already being put together with more gamers eager
to get the opportunity to come contest against the best in the land. Parents have been supporting and have
promised to keenly follow the next edition just as brands have indicated support on an even larger scale.